Thursday, July 2, 2015

Five on Friday #2 School Books

Today's topic is School Books l Loved. I read some really great books at school, it really was where I picked up my reading bug. Some were dry or boring and we're made especially excruciating because we were being made to read them.  Others opened my eyes to great stories and worlds I had no clue about. I learned a lot and am glad I was made to read these books!

Somewhere around the corner by Jackie French
This book is about a modern teenager who gets sent back in time and lives with a family during the depression. I found it interesting to compare the way we live today with the everyday life of the 1920s.

Tomorrow When The War Began by James Marsden
This book is the ultimate 'What if?' question, what would happen if Australia was invaded?  Being a teenager in Australia, war seems like we'll never have to worry about, so I enjoyed reading the story of these group of teenagers who are faced with just that, and wondering what I would do in a similar situation.
Elli: A Coming of Age in the Holocaust by Elli Friedman. Up until year ten I lived a pretty sheltered life. When I read this beautiful memoir about Elli, a Jewish girl who survived the Holocuast my eyes were opened. I had learned about war, and knew it was horrible, but there was a lot in this book that was completely new to me.

Romeo and Juliet by William Shakespeare. I still haven't decided if this is completely romantic or utterly tragic, but I am a sucker for this story.

Z for Zachariah by Robert O'Brien. This is the story of a girl who is the lone survivor or a nuclear  holocaust. She's surviving on her own until one day the last man on earth shows up. This is going to be a movie soon and I can't wait to see it.

I'm noticing a theme about all these books, they put me into a position where I had to wonder what I would do in that situation, and I think I learned something, not only about the world but about myself.

What books did you read and love when you were at school?
Happy Reading
Sarah

No comments:

Post a Comment