Monday, June 1, 2015

My Thoughts on Stars

Generally speaking we give books a star rating out of five. And I think this has some problems.
It is so hard to rate a book like To Kill a Mockingbird against something like Fangirl. They are both great books but in completely different ways. As far as I'm concerned they are both 5/5 books because I enjoyed them both so much. But when I am awarding my 5 stars, I just can't give 5 stars to Fangirl because when it comes down to it, it doesn't come close to the greatness of To Kill a Mockingbird. They just aren't in the same league.

I know that there are half stars too, but goodreads doesn't allow for this so you have to decide between 4 or 5 stars. And when it comes down to it A LOT of books are going to be rounded up from 3.5 and down from 4.5 to fit into that 4 star category. So it's hard to see a difference between all the 4 star books.

I think a book can be 5 stars in it's genre or for it's purpose and not be a truly five star book in the grand scheme of all books. Literature is so hard to rate against chick lit. Really a book can be a better book as a whole, but get less stars because I didn't enjoy it as much. It doesn't seem right. 

I look back at some of the books I have given star ratings to several years ago and I think to myself, "How on earth did I rate that book a 5 star book?" But I guess at the time I loved it and hadn't read as widely then, or was into a different style then. Do I change the rating based on what I think now? 

I think I need to decide how I'm going to rate my books and just go from there, but I don't feel like I've found the right system yet. What system do you use?

Here are some questions for you...
How you you rate books? 
Do you wish there was another ratings system?
Do you change your mind about ratings? 
Would you like another way to rate things?
Do you think about whether books will stand the test of time when rating them?
Do you take into account classic 5 star books when rating the latest releases?
Any other thoughts?
I would love to hear from you

Sarah

1 comment:

  1. You and I think a lot alike. Here is what I wrote on this topic a couple of months ago (we even start off in the same way).

    To answer your questions (because I am procrastinating over marking really badly written essays - thanks for the distraction!):

    1) Very frivolously. There are so many things to judge a book on, but the only criteria that I could really find that they have in common is enjoyment. (It is also the criteria on Goodreads.) So I judge on enjoyment with a little splurge on the 5th star for that 'something extra' that made it awesome.

    2) Hell yeah! It would actually be awesome to have ratings for different things. Or to maybe have a few ticky boxes or something where more than just enjoyment is measured.

    3) Yes I do. Especially when I am browsing through my read books and I can make comparisons between different books. I have changed ratings on occasion too. I generally find that my initial impression is a lot better than my 'the day after' impression.

    4) Yip. See number 2. But at the end of the day, it is the actual review that sells a book.

    5) Not really. I must admit that there are a few books that I consider as still being around in a hundred years or so, but then, I also think that the world and technology is changing so fast that soon those books are going to seem like medieval fantasy. (It is what makes it hard for many teachers to recommend books to kids - what we read as kids is just not really relevant, and most of the kids who are against the idea of reading need things that are modern and fast paced.)

    6) I really can't help but do that. It is why I hardly ever give a book 5 stars. I also cringe with embarrassment when I find a classic that I didn't enjoy and rated lower.

    7) Nope. I am currently brain dead from marking. :)

    ReplyDelete