Monday, May 18, 2015

Bout of Books Wrap Up

Bout of Books 13.0 is officially over and I had a blast!

I started the week off really well and read heaps. But flailed a little towards the end. I said that I wasn't going to watch TV shows this week and that I'd read instead but it didn't stay that way later in the week. Slump much. But I'm pretty proud of myself anyway. I hit all my targets and did a little bit more so overall I think it was a win! 

I read 2 books (plus some), 3 graphic novels and two 'other' books. Let me explain my "others". Lemony Snickett's Horseradish was a book full of short stories and sayings, so not really a novel so to speak. I also read another book with interesting little stories and amazing illustrations. I love Shaun Tan, I can't even tell you how much, his work is truly beautiful and I am so glad I read this - I might even have to go and buy my own copy. 

The three graphic novels I read were the first two books in the Locke & Key series and the 5th book in the Scott Pilgrim series. Loved them all! Locke & Key is something completely new to me, and I'm finding it very interesting. I've borrowed the last 4 books from the library and I can't wait to get into them. Only one Scott Pilgrim to go and I'm a little bit sad to see the end of it, I never thought a graphic novel could make me laugh out loud so often. I'm new to graphic novels but am impressed with these two series, if you have any recommendations let me know. 

For the books I read We Were Liars by E. Lockhart. I won't go into that book here because I've talked about it already this week, but incase you missed that I loved it. The second book I read was Me and Earl and the Dying Girl by Jesse Andrews and I was pleasantly surprised. I'll get back with a detailed review soon. 

I started but didn't finish two other books. Dirk Gently's Holistic Detective Agency by Douglas Adams but me into a bit of a reading slump. It's wonderfully written, the language Adams uses is so uniquely descriptive and hilarious, but I felt the story wasn't moving along very fast. I think he gets a bit caught up in describing the situation that I felt the story wasn't going anywhere. I plan to finish it, but didn't want to get slumpy (I know that's not a real word) in the middle of a read-a-thon.

The other book I started was Ocean at the End of the Lane by Neil Gaiman. If I pushed myself I could have finished it but I got slack... oh well. I'm really loving this and can't wait to see where it ends up. 

So that was my read a thon experience. Overall I enjoyed it very much and will definitely be joining in again! 
Enjoyable 5stars
Participation 4stars (I slacked a bit at the end of the week)
Reading 3.5stars (Good books but I could have pushed harder)

Let me know how you went
Happy Reading
Sarah

1 comment:

  1. Congrats! You had a pretty successful week, even if you say you slumped a bit near the end.

    ReplyDelete