Thursday, May 14, 2015

From Modern to Classic

Bout of Books day 4 challenge is being hosted by Ranty Runt of a Reader (gotta love that alliteration!) It is to pick a book that has been released recently that you believe will be a classic in 100 years time. For me I can't go past the last book I read... "We were liars" by E. Lockhart. It was amazing, and I believe will be a true classic in years to come.

Reason #1 This is a modern tale about a wealthy teenager dealing with events that have transpired in her life, and how they come to grips with that. (Holden Caulfield from Catcher in the Rye anyone?) Now don't get me wrong, I'm not saying this book is a modern version of Catcher but a truly honest account of a young protagonists life from a compelling voice is something that is sure to transcend the generations.

Reason #2  This story is something that will resonate with you for years, it's a story of family, friendship and mistakes and is something everyone can relate to.

Bout of Books Update:
Books: 1
Graphic Novels: 3
Other: 2
(I'll wrap up everything at the end of the week)

I picked up Dirk Gently's holistic detective agency by Douglas adams to read next but I'm not really feeling it. I assumed it would be a fun easy read but it feels very similar to Hitchhiker's Guide (which I love) but perhaps a bit too similar. I think I'll have to put that aside for now and pick up something else. My options are:
The Ocean at the End of the Lane - Neil Gaiman
Me and Earl and the Dying Girl - Jesse Andrews
Anna and the French Kiss - Stephanie Perkins
Any suggestions about what I should pick up next? How is your read-a-thon experience going?

Happy Reading
Sarah

3 comments:

  1. Oooo... tough one. I have only read Gaiman's The Ocean at the End of the Lane. I think it should work well for a readathon. It is a quick read. As to the others, I have absolutely no idea.

    You seem to be having a great readathon so far! Congrats!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I could definitely see this one becoming a classic. I know I LOVED it. I actually chose the same author's other book, The Disreputable History of Frankie Landau-Banks.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I keep seeing We Were Liars everywhere, and was wondering if it was any good - you just answered that question for me! I've not read Catcher in the Rye (pretty bad for an english teacher) but those comparisons for some reason made me more inclined to pick up We Were Liars. Hopefully in 100 years it's being read voraciously. Thanks for sharing your pick, and I hope you enjoy the rest of the readathon! (and yes, I love alliteration)

    ReplyDelete